My Guide Website?
Delhi: Ethical Sanjay Colony Slum Tour33 Reviews
Participate in an educational and ethical walking tour through the Sanjay Colony slum area in Delhi. Discover the rich sense of community and entrepreneurship that flourishes within the narrow alleys and gain new insights into the lives of locals.
- Engage in a safe, respectful and non-intrusive walking tour through Delhi's slum
- Observe the various micro-industries that flourish here, especially the garment industry
- Witness the rich sense of community with the help of your local guide
- Gather a local's perspective on social and economic realities in Indian slums
DescriptionSanjay Colony is a relatively small slum built on 25 acres of land located near the famous Bahá'í Lotus Temple and ISKCON Hare Krishna Temple. Originally built on forest land, this slum is surrounded by one of India's largest industrial areas and is home to approximately 50,000 people. Join an educational walking tour that aims to encourage conversation around the realities of living in slums. Come with an open mind and be prepared to debunk negative stereotypes surrounding slums. Observe the process of garment recycling and manufacture, one of the main industries in Sanjay Colony. It is also home to several other businesses, including automotive parts and electronics. Understand the complex social structure that exists within this community, and stop to wave at friendly children from the neighborhood. You will also have a chance to visit a Hindu temple and a mosque. Additionally, visit a doctor's clinic and learn about the health issues that are present in a slum environment and the different initiatives started to try and combat these. Navigate through the narrow alleys and climb a rooftop for an unparalleled view of the surrounding area. For a truly authentic experience, choose to have lunch with a local family. Enjoy a simple, home-cooked vegetarian meal lovingly prepared by your friendly hosts. Proceeds from this tour are re-invested into community development projects such as education, skills development and healthcare for the residents of Sanjay Colony.
IncludesGroup tour English-speaking Guide Local lunch (if option chosen)
- This is a group activity, and there may be other guests on the same walking tour. Maximum group size is 6 participants.
- Guests are recommended to wear comfortable closed-toe walking shoes as some areas can be dirty, especially during the monsoon months from June to mid-September.
- Please do not carry your camera on this activity. This tour has a strict no-photography policy to respect the privacy of local residents.
- Please wear modest clothing. No low-cut or sleeveless tops or short shorts are allowed.